How To Read Greek Coffee Cups
There are some rules to reading your Greek coffee cup. Now, before you read the rules, remember that this is just a game of superstition. Don’t believe everything that someone says just because they say it to you. Keep an open mind and an open heart and remember, everyone plays this game differently so the rules are sometimes broken.
Rules For Reading Greek Coffee Cups
- You should never read your own cup.
- There should only be one reader for each cup.
- What the reader interprets the story to be… will be the story
- There is no right or wrong story. The story will be what the reader says it is.
- The drinker of the coffee cup should flip their own cup before handing the cup to the reader.
- Once the reader has read the cup, it should not be read by anyone else.
- You are not supposed to say ‘thank you’ to the reader after they read your cup.
- The fortune that is told is only relevant for a maximum of 6 months after the reading.
Drink Your Greek Coffee Before Reading The Cup
Greek Coffee should be poured in to little demitasse size cups. In order to read a Greek Coffee, you will also need a saucer (a matching saucer if you want to be a good nifi). They say that you think about or ponder upon the things that you want to be revealed to you while you are drinking your coffee. Once you have finished drinking your Greek Coffee, put the saucer over the top of the cup. Then, flip the cup up side down. Let the cup sit for a little while so that the coffee can drip in to the saucer and dry. Once you are ready, pick up the cup and give it to the reader to read.
Tips for reading Greek Coffee Cups
- The handle is the start of the cup.
- Read the cup from left to right or right to left depending on weather the coffee drinker is left handed or right handed.
- The rim of the cup represents a period that is closer to the present. The bottom of the cup represents a period that is further from the present.
- Say what you feel as you are reading the cup.
- Interpret the images and symbols that you see in your own way.
- Meditate before reading someone else’s cup – clear you mind of any predetermined thoughts and judgements.
- Only read a cup if you feel comfortable and able to do so.
- Never read a cup for someone that you don’t like or for someone that you have negative emotions towards.
- Remember that this is superstition, a game, something to do for fun!
Should You Read Your Greek Coffee Cup?
There is a bit of controversy about reading Greek coffee cups. Some say that the stories in your cup can foretell your future and other believe that you should never do it because it is against the Greek Orthodox religion.
I have my own opinion about the idea of fortune telling and one day, I will write my story about how a coffee cup reading predicted that I would fall in love, get married and grow old together with my husband. But for now, let’s talk about how to make Greek coffee.
How To Make Greek Coffee
If you want to learn How To Make Greek Coffee, then be sure to check out Ekaterina Botziou’s video demonstration above.
Do you know how to read a Greek Coffee Cup? Please share your tips in the comments.