There is a ritual that Cypriots do with the groom just before the wedding. It involves music, shaving the grooms beard and wrapping a red sash around the grooms waist. Does anyone know what this ritual is called?
Some say that the red sash symbolises purity and others say it symbolises fertility. I have also heard that it represents the ‘virginity’ of the groom.
- What do you think the red sash symbolises?
- Does anyone have pics or video of this ritual?
- Why do other people dress the groom on his wedding day?
- Why does the groom let someone else shave him?
- What are the lyrics/music that is played during the ceremony?
- Are the Cypriots the only ones that do this?