My husband will be christening a baby boy this weekend and we will officially become his God Parents. I have been busy making the lambatha and the martyrika (which are available to purchase at the Greek Wedding Shop) but I still have a few things still to organise.
I have created a list of all the things that God Parents need to buy for a Greek Orthodox Baptism. Please let me know if I am missing anything by leaving a note in the comments.
What Should God Parents Buy For A Christening?
- Baptismal Cross & Chain / Stavro
- White Christening Outfit With Hat or Cap
- White Shoes / Booties
- Cloth Nappy – because a cloth nappy can be washed but a disposable nappy needs to be trashed
- White Singlets (3)
- Outfits for the baby (3 in total) – the christening outfit + pjs for the baby to wear after the christening + something for the baby to wear after bathing him/her on day 3
- White Face Washer / Ladopana – used to wipe oil from the baby’s head after the ceremony
- White Hand Towel – for the Priest to wipe his hands
- Large White Towel – used with sheet to wrap the baby
- White Cot Sheet – used with the towel to wrap the baby and protect the God parents
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – in a nice bottle
- Bar of Soap
- Hair Brush
- Witness Pins / Marityrika – for the guests
- Favours / Bombonerie – for the guests
- Decorated Candle / Lambatha
- Decorated Box – to put everything in so that it is easy to take to Church
Please share a comment if you have anything else to add to this list!
I’d also like to hear your ideas for christening themes and decorations for the lambatha, the bombonerie and the box.
Related posts you might love:
- Can You Be The God Parent To Both A Boy and a Girl in the Greek Orthodox Church?
- Sinteknos The Cretan Godfather
- Amygthalota Greek Almond Cookies: A Tradition To Welcome A New Baby
- 40 Days After The Birth Of A Child ~ Sarantismos